Pages


Controversial Topics







I try to stay away from controversial topics on my blog because I don't want to scare away followers or keep new people from reading my blog.  But today I had to write something about Bullying. 

I am scared for my daughter to attend public schools.  And private schools too.  Life seems like it's so much harder for kids now.  I never knew anyone in high school who committed suicide because of bullying.  And the thought that maybe my little girl could either be bullied that much or be a bully, scares the crap out of me.  I just watched a repeat of the Ellen show this morning where a family was on because their son was bullied and hung himself in his bedroom closet.  His father found him the next morning and it was too late.  

When did things get SO bad?  Why is this happening?  I know that I was bullied in high school, and I was a bully towards people too.  But I never EVER thought about ending things.  Where are people learning to be so rude and harsh??  Well guess what, the first place you learn things is at home.  And children learn horrible habits from their parents.  We have "friends" (you know the old saying, keep you friends close and your enemies closer... well yea, these are those people, unfortunately), who have a child who is a bully.  This child is in the age range of 2-4 years old (I'm trying to remain neutral in case they ever read my blog, but I don't know if they ever will).  And their child is a bully.  This kid pushes others around, takes toys and is just plain old mean.  And this kid learns all of this from the parents.  Because those parents are bullies.  That's why not many of our other mutual friends want to hang out with them, because they bully too.  Paul gets bullied at work by people he works with - they make fun of him for stupid things because they know it gets under his skin.  And that's where things are WRONG.  And they need to stop.  A student at RMC committed suicide earlier this year because he was bullied.  I'm so sick of people turning a blind eye when it happens.  

I know this post doesn't provide solutions, or really anything at all, but I needed to get it out of my system.  I'm so tired of hearing about children and even grown ups committing suicide because of being bullied.  It needs to stop.  And this is why I'm scared for my baby - I'm scared of this world that we brought her into.  And I can only hope that I can teach her that she is a wonderful person no matter what anyone else says, and I hope that I can teach her to never forget that, because she is wonderful and fabulous just the way she is.

Leave a Comment

  1. I remember very little bullying going on in the schools I grew up in. I'm not sure what the reason was for this- teachers & parents more involved? Small town & everyone would know if there was a problem? Who knows. But bullying scares me to death. I think about Baby K and how I'd go ballistic if anyone every hurt him. Girl's Gone Child wrote about this the other day and I couldn't believe how mean people could be...

    http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2012/05/on-kissing-like-horse-sponsored.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... I'm planning on homeschooling and having a homestead :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly believe the fact that you see it as being an issue will help you provide Nora with a steady lifestyle that she can grow and be the best person ever in. I can see where you are coming from though.. it is a true issue.. but the flip side of it is not protecting your child and sheltering her away because of society being negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way. And honestly, I am strongly considering homeschooling (I was homeschooled) and this is one of the reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. It's not the same world we grew up in. And yet I don't want to make my schooling decisions based on fear as the primary motivator. So what do we do? Fight back, I think. We can protect our kids by instilling a sense of self-worth in Christ, open communication and honesty. We can build them a safe haven at home. But beyond that, our enemy is not society or the other school kids - it's the fear itself. And I don't always know how to fight that. The simple answer is "faith," but we all know faithful people still have fears. I'm a work in progress on this topic for sure. We chose a private school for kindergarten next fall, and I'm just waiting to discover that bad stuff happens there, too. We moms are all in this together!

    ReplyDelete