Pages


A Dancer's Life




Ever have one of those days where you are totally reminded why you do what you do?

Yea.

That was me last night.

I went to my "old" dance studio's Mostly Modern Showcase - "Dance Go Off" last night.  It was such a great show.  But what I was most impressed with was some of the dancers.  In particular, the girls that I used to dance with when I was really young.  Most of the people in my Thursday jazz class that I take, are people I danced with when I was 15-16 years old until I stopped dancing in 2007.  Prior to that, they were in the classes ahead of me.  They are the girls that made me want to dance.  

When I started dancing at Studio One, I only took ballet.  I was convinced I wanted to be a ballerina.  And had I really really wanted to, I probably could have.  I auditioned for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet Professional Division Summer School when I was 13.  I didn't end up going that summer because we were going to be gone all summer because of my Dad's work.  The following fall, I enrolled in modern, jazz, tap, ballet and musical theatre.  I still remember the dance that made me want to take modern.  Philadelphia.  It was beautiful.  And I was so in love with it.  And I was in awe of the girls in that class.  They made me want to be a better dancer.  So I pushed myself.  And I think I did a great job with that.  I ended up attending a prestigious performing arts college - one that accepts only 40 students per year.  And then because of a stupid person, I threw it all away.  And I have to admit, some days I'm really bitter about that.  But last night - after watching those girls up there on that stage, I remember why I started dancing in the first place.  The emotion that you can show on stage, the world you enter, and the way you can make an audience feel - whether you are a professional or just a once a week dance student like I am now.  I love it.  And I wouldn't change any part of my life because I think everything I've been through helps make me a more well-rounded performer.

Dance.  It's not just an exercise class once a week.  It is part of my life.  It is part of me.  And I love it.

Leave a Comment

  1. I love that you have something that makes you so happy and passionate! Not everyone has something like that. I dabbled in jazz dance growing up. But nothing super serious. It was always tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete